Dabbing concentrates is becoming a popular mode of consuming cannabis. Many of you have no idea the words you just read. Our quick start cannabis dabbing guide will get you started in a few minutes. What Is Dabbing?
Dabbing is the act of vaporizing cannabis concentrates on a heated nail (more on those in the next section.) The vaporized concentrate is then inhaled through a bong/water-pipe device called a dab rig or just rig.
What Are Cannabis Concentrates?
Cannabis concentrates are various versions of isolated cannabinoids and terpenes. Dabbing has only been popular for about a decade, but detailed descriptions of modern day cannabis concentrates have been around since the 1970’s, according to Leafly. Scientists like Michael Starks spoke about cannabis oil that resembled dark honey in his book. The most recognizable form of cannabis concentrate is hash, which has been around for thousands of years. Cannabis concentrates are made with two types of extraction methods: solventless and solvent-based.
Solventless extractions produce concentrates like dry sift hash, bubble hash, and hash rosin. Solventless methods of extraction produce small yields resulting in more expensive products.
Solvent-based extractions use hydrocarbon gasses to produce concentrates like butane and propane hash oils, also known as BHO and PHO. Solvent-based extraction methods have become widely available in the recreational cannabis market because they produce large yields, a wide variety of textures, and competitive prices. Common types of solvent-based extractions include live resin, shatter, wax, terp sauce, and crumble.
Why Do You Dab?
People take dabs for different reasons, but the simplest way to break it down would be for recreational or medical purposes. Concentrates are more potent and faster acting than its flower counterpart. Medicinal users my dab cannabis oil because it can treat myriad of diseases like opioid addiction and PTSD. The effects of a dab are felt immediately which is a great quality for people seeking any kind of pain relief.
Recreational cannabis users like it because of the intense psychoactive effects it provides. Dabs hit users hard and fast; the vapor expands quickly in your chest, causing some people to cough assuredly, but the head rush and accompanying high is an intense experience that many users love. Years of smoking flower builds a high tolerance; dabs will blast through these tolerance walls.
When Do You Dab?
Anytime you want honestly. There are all kinds of portable and electronic vaporizing devices available. From pens to mini bubbler dab rigs, it’s become easy and affordable to dab on the go.
Many concentrate consumers prefer to use them in the comfort of their homes with a glass rig and a torch or electronic nail. At home, setups will always provide the most complete dabbing experience because variables are easily controlled.
Where Can You Find Dab Supplies
Glass dab rigs, quartz nails, carb-caps, dab tools and all of the necessary accouterments can be found here at KushMart. If for some reason we lack what you need, the internet has hundreds of different options. Find yourself a simple glass rig with a quartz banger (nail). You can find a nice starter set up for $50 at most places that will last you a lifetime if you take care of it properly.
How Do You Dab?
Dabbing is fairly simple:
- Load a dab of concentrate on a dab tool. Dab tools are usually just metal dentist tools. Some get fancy and design them as samurai swords or lightsabers.
- Set your loaded dab tool aside and heat your nail with a torch. Heating length is widely debated among concentrate users, but low-temperature dabs will provide you with the best flavor, and you can always reheat your nail and burn the rest if you change your mind. When you heat up an average quartz nail until it’s red hot, you want to let it cool down for at least 60 seconds. Set a time to nail this cool down time consistently; Errl’s Dab Timer smartphone app is a great way to do this.
- Once the timer hits zero, grab your tool and place it on the nail until the dab melts off your tool (scrape the rest off the edges of the nail).
- Grab a carb-cap; place it over the nail and rotate it while inhaling. This retains the temperature and swirls the oil around the nail vaporizing the entire dab.
- Once you’re done with your dab, it’s time to clean your nail with q-tips. If you’ve properly completed a low-temp dab, there will be a warm brown puddle in your nail. Soak up most of this with one q-tip.
- Use the second q-tip to soak up a bit of rubbing alcohol to scrub the oil remains from your nail. This will result in small crackling and alcohol vapor escaping from the nail, this is completely normal.
- The final q-tip just cleans out the little bit of alcohol and oil remaining. I reuse this q-tip as the first on my next
How To Choose Cannabis Concentrates
Cannabis concentrate selection comes down to user preference. Some concentrates have higher terpene percentages and are meant for flavor over effect. Some concentrates like THCa are void of terpenes and are for effects over flavor. Refer your KushMart budtender for proper concentrate recommendations for your desired experience.
The Best Pot Shop in Everett!
Adults 21 and over can purchase up to one ounce of usable cannabis flower, 16 ounces of cannabis-infused edibles in solid form, 72 ounces of cannabis drinkables, and 7 grams of cannabis concentrates.
If you’re a registered medical cannabis patient, the limits are:
Three ounces of usable cannabis flower, forty-eight ounces of cannabis-infused edibles in solid form, two hundred sixteen ounces of cannabis drinkables, and twenty-one grams of cannabis concentrates, per the Washington State Department of Health.